Monday 5 March 2007

T.I.A. or is it?

I finally got around to seeing Blood Diamond over the weekend. I think I wanted to see it because of where it was set and so many people have recommended it. Parts of it made me cry… don’t know if some of the issues were too close to home. Human life seeming so cheap. The struggle for power, money regardless of the cost to the country…
One quote stuck with me when Danny says,

"Sometimes I wonder if God will ever forgive us for what we've done to each other..."
Which is an honest wrestling with the consequence of war and death, how our relationship with our neighbours is linked to our relationship with God. But then he goes on to say,
"Then I look around and I realise... God left this place a long time ago."
I think this is the attitude of a lot of people these days. When things like the tsunami, Iraq, Sudan, AIDS are discussed people come to the conclusion that somehow because of suffering in the world, that God must not be in control… But that’s a narrow view of the purposes of God… the sovereignty of God… the character of God. Not saying we should still fight for justice to be down and for his kingdom to come on earth…but in the midst of that, we can hold on the fact that he is still in control.

There were a few things I didn’t really like about the film. The ending made a hero out of someone who really was just as corrupt as everyone else. It also portrayed the country and most of the people corrupt, violent etc. The ending seemed to be wrapped up too neatly or something… one article put it this way, “Like so many others, Blood Diamond also closes a few scenes in which justice is seen to be done - not in Sierra Leone, but in a nice European or American courtroom. Things in Sierra Leone probably aren't a whole lot better, but at least audiences can go home reassured that another global problem in a far-flung country has been fixed thanks to the movies. Maybe now they can go on holiday there.”

I wish that they had actually filmed it in Sierra Leone. I also left feeling like the answer to the problem is that the West should stop buying diamonds (as a few of my friends have already stated they will never get a diamond engagement ring etc). But surely in a country like Sierra Leone who is still reliant on a lot of foreign aid, the diamond industry could be part of helping them increase trade (while keeping in line with human rights issues / fairly traded / not conflict diamonds etc). I know it wasn’t a documentary or a true story or anything, so it’s always going to have a slant.

Anyway, still a good film trying to address some important issues. Maybe awareness can make an impact. Sometimes I struggle with the idea that awful events/wars/violence have been made into entertainment / money-making industry etc.

Speaking of Africa, I think I’ve decided to go back for the summer… to Kogi State this time as well as home (Jos)… Kogi state is around the state capital Lokoja on the map- where the 2 rivers Niger & Benue meet… in case you want a geography lesson! can’t wait already… need to start looking at flights. looking forward to some TIN factor as we say. this is nigeria…

No comments: