Friday 24 October 2008

confession

I’ve been told confession is good for the soul, so here goes: I have election fever. I’m just a LITTLE bit hooked on what’s going on in the US presidential election. I just find it all so interesting... it’s just the drama of it and every day has a new twist that is torn to shreds with the pontificating analysis and over-analysis by the political blogosphere and media. For example, I stayed up to watch 3 out of last 4 debates (which is something I probably shouldn’t admit to). I’d like to say it was all worth it, but I guess I just wanted to watch the debates in real time, without the media spin the day after. Sad, I know. It’s kind of like being addicted to the west wing except this is the real deal. But sometimes, I think it might as well be a TV series to me for all the impact it actually has on my life... and the sooner it’s over, the better it will be for my dissertation (and general sanity).
Although, I was in the library for 8 hours today. That might be a record for the semester so far and there must be many more days like it as pay back for time spent reading political blogs... It feels like history in the making though... (yada yada - excuses, excuses....)

Too bad that NI politics does nothing to inspire me at the minute... probably should pay a bit more attention to what’s going on here these days besides the policing and justice who-ha/standoff. Guess we’ve had our fair share of drama and history-in-the-making over the years.
Ok, confession over. In the meantime, any suggestions for how to treat election fever are welcome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got election fever really bad in 2000. I stayed up to watch the debates. I read 100,000s of words. From the moment the Primaries began to the day that the Supreme Court made *that* decision I was a walking expert with no one to share my enthusiasm. As the years go by though I started to realise that there aren't really two candidates proper, just two brands of the same product and I slowly lost interest...