I can't get my mind off my hometown of Jos, Nigeria. It's deja vu for this town - political/tribal/religious riots again have cost the lives of hundreds. I keep having flashbacks to September 7, 2001 when riots broke out in my senior year of high school (and 1000+ were killed). The gunshots, the army tanks firing, the smoke across the city, the not knowing what was happening over the wall or across town, the curfews, the burnt cars and buildings etc. It says on the news today that the hospitals are struggling to cope so I'm picturing the hospital in Jos where I've been over the last few summers - full of people needing medical attention... My mum is there today trying to help now that things are quieting down.
Why again? Why does life seems so cheap? Why does the world barely seem to notice?
I'm feeling helpless and far away. The daily routine somehow seems a little meaningless compared to the reality of people in Jos who have lost loved ones, homes and livelihoods etc.
On this first day of advent and on world AIDS day... my dad wrote from Jos in a quick email this morning - "Jesus is risen with healing in his wings..."
Monday 1 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment