Monday 17 September 2007

The Road

Just finished a book called The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I only bought it on Saturday but it has intrigued me... so I had to finish it quicker. It’s one of those books that, on the face of it, is completely depressing, with no sense of hope or direction or even clear storyline. But it manages to still show beauty through the use of language and the depiction of the relationship between a father and son. In a funny way, it is a case of reverse psychology. By presenting a world that is mostly terrifying and ugly and a future that is utterly bleak, it emphasises the few portrayals of goodness. It also makes me reflect more on the wonder of our “real” world and maybe even makes me think about the hope of heaven in complete contrast…

McCarthy writes… “All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one’s heart have a common provenance in pain.”

I went for a walk along the shore when I finished the book today. I think that the sea was that little bit bluer and the world even more beautiful than I remember…
The song on the radio is blaring Biffy Clyro’s line… I’ve forgotten how good it could be to feel alive…

No comments: