A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes
by Langston Hughes
What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
I remember reading this poem first when I was 17. I remember thinking that I didn’t really understand what he was talking about. I supposed at that age, I was just beginning to dream… I read this in the context of a play that I loved: A Raisin in the Sun.
I have days now, though, that I do feel as if some of my dreams have been deferred. I don’t know if it’s because I’m still a student and feel as if I’m always looking towards finishing this phase of my life…(even though I'm loving my classes at the minute!) But then sometime I think that my dreams were (and maybe are) so short-sighted and that I’m so impatient. What is the hurry? Why can’t I fully live in the present with all that is happening and all that I know God is teaching me. It comes back to the idea of ‘waiting for the Lord’. But then sometimes I wonder if my dreams are really just my dreams and that I need to be willing to wait for Him to show me what his dream is for me…
As long as in my waiting, I don't let dreams dry up like "a raisin in the sun . . ."
I remember reading this poem first when I was 17. I remember thinking that I didn’t really understand what he was talking about. I supposed at that age, I was just beginning to dream… I read this in the context of a play that I loved: A Raisin in the Sun.
I have days now, though, that I do feel as if some of my dreams have been deferred. I don’t know if it’s because I’m still a student and feel as if I’m always looking towards finishing this phase of my life…(even though I'm loving my classes at the minute!) But then sometime I think that my dreams were (and maybe are) so short-sighted and that I’m so impatient. What is the hurry? Why can’t I fully live in the present with all that is happening and all that I know God is teaching me. It comes back to the idea of ‘waiting for the Lord’. But then sometimes I wonder if my dreams are really just my dreams and that I need to be willing to wait for Him to show me what his dream is for me…
As long as in my waiting, I don't let dreams dry up like "a raisin in the sun . . ."
No comments:
Post a Comment